Thursday, November 23, 2006

Tangled

Oi. This fair isle business is a bit messy. I know I should have the yarn on small little bobbins or some such fun but you know I like to do things the hard way (preferably the hardest way. You know, so then I can whinge about how hard it is). And the carrying of the yarn - who knew? I find that 3 sts is the furthest that I can go without carrying the other colour along, god knows if I'm doing it right, I kind of loop the colour I'm not working with over the top of the other every 3 sts and continue on with the colour I'm working with - does that sound right? I guess I should pull out my trusty Elizabeth Zimmerman book, I'm sure she has some words of wisdom on the subject.
This is where I am at.


I'm actually quite enjoying it, not as brain frying as lace but not as brain numbing as st st.



What I don't like though is that it is taking away from my precious Alias DVD watching time - I have to watch what I'm doing and not the TV. It's a hard life. However, when I do look up it seems to coincide with when Michael Vartan is on screen so it's not all bad. (Did I tell you he was one of the celebs we interviewed at the Cup. My producer gets the glamourous job of meeting the celebs, I get the not so glamourous jobs of watching the interview on a monitor about 500m away. Lucky me).

It's moving along pretty darn quick. Which is a bit scary as I don't have anything lined up to knit next - what a surprise!

5 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

No. You don't usually put the yarn on bobbins for Fair Isle. It looks quite lovely!

3:35 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only look up when Michael Vartan is on Alias - he is the only reason why I watched this show in the first place. Lucky boss - I would be so jealous. Can you tell us more about Michael!

7:43 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learnt all I know about fair isle from this video - http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm
(only works in IE). Once you get the hang of it you'll never look back :)

7:23 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the red and white combintion. Fair isle is something I've yet to tackle - sooo much to learn!! x

7:22 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, spread the right-needle stitches out nice and wide -- helps keep the tension even and avoid puckering. (Says she who learned the hard way and has nieces and nephews with handknitted Christmas stockings that are beautiful but low-capacity and therefore not favoured.)

9:53 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home