Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Two out of two ain't bad

I was going to show you some photos of my spinning creations today (you see, I have moved on from 'cat barf' to 'creations') but my lovely mobile phone camera made it look like a white lot of nothing, so you will just have to visualise (can you visualise something that looks spectacular please? Thanks).

Celia (we will now call her She Who Saved My Cat Barf) gave me some FANTASTIC guidance today, and a few sneaky hints that her spinning teacher would balk at, but we won't tell her about that. I spun up some drafted fiber (woohoo! it looks like yarn!) and some courser rovings (it ALMOST looks like yarn!) and when I got home I couldn't help myself, and spun up some of my own rovings (alot slipperier than what I had been practicing on at Celia's) and it too ALMOST looks like yarn! At least it looks alot better than my first attempt. I think with some more practice, and some lessons (starting in October) that I might actually be able to come up with something I could knit.

Then in the afternoon I had the much anticipated Haircut. You know, I think I found a hairdresser that I actually feel comfortable cutting my hair. He listened, he explained what he was doing, and spent more than 2 nano seconds on cutting my hair (which was about the amount of time that my old hairdresser would spend on my hair, and I had the privilege of paying $60 for it). I discovered the reason why he is so good at cutting curly hair; his wife is a fellow curly head. And the last thing you want to do is get your wife's haircut wrong - imagine the consequences.

And I like the end result! Something a bit different for me, a bit layered which I usually run a mile from (bad layering experiences in the past *shiver*) but he's done a great job.

Not much more happening on the knitting front, the shrug is chugging along, I keep getting to involved in watching the tele (Survivor on Friday nights now - that may have been a culprit) and end up having to frog a couple of rows. But it's getting there. I'm not sure what I want to do next, maybe my Opal socks but it's getting close to summer. Maybe a summer top, just have to decide which one. I always hit a slump with summer knitting, anyone else have the same problem? I could sort out a jumper for Little Man that he can take on our trip to Europe next February, but I seem to have lost my favourite Debbie Bliss book with a gorgeous jumper pattern in it, darn it. Hopefully it will turn up in the next few days, I feel a bit lost with only one thing OTN (and of course the French Market Bag, but that's not a wildly exciting thing to knit).

3 Comments:

Blogger celia said...

Enjoy your lumpy bumpy yarn while you're making it. Once you start going to jenny's classes you'll be spinning more evenly and lumpy bumpy becomes a rarity! Don't forget, people pay good money for lumpy bumpy cat-barfy yarn!

celia

3:24 pm

 
Blogger knitabulous said...

I am reading your blog going "I have the same hairdresser trouble", "I knitted the clapotis and the french market bag and felted slippers", "I've got a hankering for that zhivago shrug" - and you beautiful silk garden clapotis makes me want to make another one!

8:13 am

 
Blogger knitabulous said...

oops I forgort a bit. I am also addicted to survivor!

8:19 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home