Friday, September 16, 2005

Slip sliding away...

The slippers are kinda done. I say kinda because they've had a felting session in the washing machine and the dryer and they are still big enough to fit DH. I'm hoping that another trip thru the front loader will sort them out (I used the top loader last time and I don't think it was hot enough) (yes we have 2 washing machines, don't ask).


I have started in the Zhivago shrug - what I'm gonna do about the gauge I don't know. The sts were the correct gauge but the rows were waaaay off, like about 4cm off. The gauge is knit in the diamond pattern so I doing less rows might not fix it, it might just make an incomplete pattern at the bottom edge. Hmmm, think I might drop it back a needle size and see how we go. I know I'm playing with fire by subbing the needles (can not be any worse than the whole Monster Jumper saga) but at least I have the correct yarn this time (first time for everything!). I am now quite liking the feel of the Zhivago, very soft and slinky. I have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks so it would be nice to have it done in time, now I just have to find a dress to wear it with.

A question for the aussies, what foreign yarns would you like to be able to buy in Australia that you currently can't? There may be something in the works...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shrug is going to be gorgeous! You picked a great color too. Good luck with the gauge!

12:45 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope the slippers will be sorted out soon after you pop them into the washer again. anyway, looking forward to see your shrug soon.

as for the foreign yarns, i think knit picks would be nice, since they don't ship to australia, unfortunately :(

7:01 pm

 
Blogger BENBENEK said...

Just wanted to announce the 4th anniversary ofHand Knits for Young Moderns - a website filled with scans from vntage knitting pattern books - thank you!

5:06 am

 
Blogger Rachael Elswyk said...

Hey Taryn, I tagged you with an archive meme, do you wanna play?

Oh and I think that it would be nice to get Noro easier and sock stuff like Cherrytree Hill (?) oh and cascade....oh and....the list is endless.

9:57 am

 
Blogger Meg said...

I am mystified and tempted by all the rave reviews of Koigu that I read - yet have never found it for sale in my usual yarn dealerships. I would also like to be able to buy Rowan in person somewhere - shops in Sydney will order it for you but I want to be able to wantonly grope it before buying it. (perhaps the 'new to you' shop has it and I am just missing out...)

11:31 am

 
Blogger knitabulous said...

I wish we could get knitpicks to deliver to australia. And a bigger range of the swtc yarns, and cherry tree hill. But most of all I wish we could get knitpicks.

2:12 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home